It is already wedding season but we are photographing at the same time engagement sessions of couples that get married later this year or next year. While we plan and discuss the location and best time for best light there is always this one questions that comes up „What to wear during our engagement session?“ When I started out I often answered „Well, just be yourself.“ And honestly that didn’t really help my clients at all. When they look back at their engagement picture they don’t want to see themselves dressed in their comfy yoga pants and old sweater or just like they were running errands. They don’t want to look like being dressed up for going to work or going out for dancing and cocktails. When you look at your engagement pictures afterwards you want to look like the best version of yourself as if a magazine like „Home & Garden“ could come and interview you about your upcoming wedding and you don’t panically answer „But I am not dressed for that occasion“.
So here are my five tips to think about when choosing outfits for your engagement session.
1. Bring different outfits. Maybe one more casual and one more chic if you are not sure how to dress.
2. Bring outfits that you feel beautiful in (beautiful doesn’t always imply comfortable like your yoga pants but you should be able to wear it for like 2 hours without freaking out)
3. Think about accessories like scarfs, hats, maybe your bike or your dog. Every accessory gives your session a personal touch and something you like to remember afterwards.
4. If you want to wear high heels for the shoot think about bringing flats for walking from one location to the other.
5. Think about a make-up artist. You could combine the shoot with your hair and make-up test run before the wedding. Make sure you look and feel fabulous.
To get inspiration on how to dress for the session I created a Pinterest board with some ideas. Those are not only my pictures but I am continuously adding images to this board to keep you inspired on what to wear during your engagement session.
If you are a photographer reading this: Think about how to educate your client and how to help them choose the right clothes for their session. Maybe you also want to create an own Pinterest board to show your clients your vision of the session.
Here is some inspiration about what to wear and accessories from a few engagement sessions.